A fully automated on-line radiation water monitor.
Wilma utilizes a novel approach to streamline the time consuming process of sample collection and preparation traditionally required for detecting radiation (specifically alpha and beta contamination) in water via liquid scintillation counting.
Wilma is ideal for simplifying a range of applications which require routine sampling, including:
- Ground water radiation contamination monitoring.
- Monitoring tritium levels in cooling water.
- Quasi real-time radiation monitoring of drinking water.
Fully integrated radiation water monitor
The simple, self-contained unit combines fluid handling systems for sample collection, preparation, and disposal, with radiation detection and analysis of contamination, all within a rugged and compact housing - measuring just 480 x 400 mm and designed to operate in demanding environments.
Totally autonomous radiation measurements
The self-contained water radiation monitor is able to operate independently, for as long as it has the necessary reagents. Wilma was designed to minimize waste production and reduce the consumables required. With a well-characterised response and stable background, this design allows a unit to continue running without supervision for in excess of 30 days.
Simple to use instrument
Wilma includes a touchscreen PC running user-friendly software, which allows easy configuration and monitoring of sampling and measurement cycles. Default measurement cycles can be provided to bring the instrument on-line soon after installation.
Completely customizable online monitor
Designed, developed and built by the LabLogic Group, Wilma can be fully customized to suit any application. The system can integrate additional sensors and measurement systems, handle complex sampling and preparation routines, and integrate with external monitoring and alarm networks. Two of the configurations currently available are:
1. Ground Water Radiation Monitor
The Wilma Ground Water Monitoring System combines the proven Wilma fluid handling and LSC modules with additional pumping and sensing capabilities to manage the extraction and characterisation of ground water samples at the source. The system can be configured for remote measurements and transmit data via a secure wireless network. Ideal for campaign-based measurements, the system is mounted inside a rugged IP65-rated enclosure for all-weather protection.
2. Tritium in Air Monitoring System
The Wilma Tritium in Air Monitoring System utilizes the configurable Wilma fluid handling and LSC detector to automate the operation of a tritium bubbler. The customized software includes cycles to sample water in the bottles, as well as emptying, washing and refilling them as part of the standard operating procedure. This application allows long-term, remote monitoring of tritium in air levels down to less than 10 Bq/m3, ideal for monitoring in isolated locations or areas where access is difficult.
Contact the LabLogic team for a quote, to find out more information about the Wilma water radiation monitor, or to request a free demo.
Wilma On-line Water Radiation Monitor Features
- Small sample volume (max. 5 ml) minimizes scintillation cocktail waste production.
- Established coincidence-based liquid scintillation counting techniques gives background rates <5 cpm.
- Counting windows can be set to permit maximum efficiency for radionuclides of interest.
- Low energy ß counting efficiency (3H) > 15% for a 2 ml sample (2.5 ml scintillation cocktail).
- Lower limit of detection for 3H is 2200 pCi/L (81.4 Bq/L) for a 60 min count time and 1500 pCi/L (55.5 Bq/L) for 120 min.
- Proven detection sensitivity down to 10 nCi/L (370 Bq/L) for key environmental radionuclides 3H, 90Sr,137Cs and 241Am and giving sample recoveries in excess of 40%.
- Compact MCA module (up to 8192 channels) provides an additional sample analysis metric to allow for rapid identification of contamination.
- Manifold-based fluid handling module reduces risk of leakage, provides control of sample mixing with the scintillation cocktail and allows for easy maintenance.
Wilma On-line Water Radiation Monitor Software
- Fully configurable measurement cycles gives user control over flow rates, analysis time, wash cycles and periodic calibration standard injection.
- Measurement display provides information on gross counts, average count rates and real-time sample spectrum acquisition.
- Animated flow path diagram permits easy observation of system status.
- Measurement queue function allows a series of cycles to be run over a defined time period of up to several weeks.
- Samples exceeding a pre-determined threshold trigger an automatic alarm which communicates the status and trigger conditions to system supervisors via e-mail.
- Data export function to allow for additional analysis.
Wilma-USDownload (2.8 MB)
By: Deakin, Tom; Beeston, John R.; Brown, Richard A.; et al.
Conference: 245th National Spring Meeting of the American-Chemical-Society (ACS) Location: New Orleans, LA Date: APR 07-11, 2013
Sponsor(s): Amer Chem Soc
ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY Volume: 245 Meeting Abstract: 156-NUCL Published: APR 7 2013